Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pain Management= Caudal Nerve Block 9/12/2003











A Caudal neve block is just like an epidural that is given during childbirth. The one difference that the medication can numb the nerve pain for varying levels of time. The doctor and I were both disappointed that it was not successful. I did have some lessening of pain for a few days after the nerve block but my doctor said that was from the lidocaine used to numb the area where they inserted the needle.

When the lidocaine was injected (it felt like he shot about a gallon of the stuff in my lower back) is very very painful. Thank goodness it only last 30 seconds or so but it is very intense. The nurse gives the patient a stuffed turtle to squeeze duing that time. A patient before me sqeezed off on of Tommy Turles legs. So my turle was three legged. But I squeezed him good.