Monday, November 20, 2006

Investigator at the NC Department of Insurance:




I have to post my appreciation to one employee at the NC Deptartment of Insuracne. This man took an interest in my grievance from day one. He kept in constant contact. He empathized with me in letters and our several phone calls. I sent him the deposition right off the bat. I think this helped a lot.

What he did do was:

To forward my original letter of complaint to Auto Owners Insurance Co. He sent me copies of their replies to him.

He was very doubtful as to what the claims rep had to tell him in answer to my complaint. He was told in writing by this rep; that the rep had spoken to my lawyer, the lawyer for Auto Owners and the judge who served as a mediator that all three attorneys had told her that they would be happy to provide the NC Department of Insurance affidavits of truth if he should need it.

He sent me a copy of this letter. I called my attorney and the mediator; they had not ever talked to that rep after the mediation in Feb. 2004. So I wrote to him and said yes lets insist on the affidavits of truth. The results:

The lawyer for Auto Owners Insurance Company was much too busy to swear out an affidavit of truth because he was very busy answering my grievances against him with the NC Bar Association

My lawyer never did get around to doing the affidavit. I called him to tell him about what the rep promised the NC Dept. of Insurance. He said he had never received her request nor had he discussed the case with anyone from Auto Owners after the mediation. I advised him to go ahead and prepare the affidavit; fax it to me so I could check on the facts. He gets forgetful. He never did anything about it. My lawyer is not a strong person and he made so many mistakes during this personal injury case. I suspect he wanted to not dig a bigger hole.

The judge sent Auto Owners a letter saying NC law would not ever allow him to talk about the case.

The employee at the NC Dept. of Insurance and I talked about the rep's supposed conversation with all three lawyers (the mediator is a judge and a lawyer) and the supposed promises to her that they would be happy to provide an affidavit. We agreed it was clear she was being dishonest and lying about her supposed conversations with the attorneys. He sent me a final letter advising me to sue Auto Owners and their attorney in civil court.

This is the only person I involved in this situation who took me seriously, believed me in fact and worked hard to get to the bottom of the investigation. I did send him a thank you note for all his hard work. He went far and beyond his job to help me and I thank him here publically. An honest person working for the government can be very hard to find.